Saturday, October 6, 2012

Day 6 - Weekly Retreat


My weekly retreat started after the birth of my third little girl.  I struggled much more with motherhood after her birth than I thought I would.   Through the counseling of other godly women, I have found that getting away once a week has truly been a blessing and a sanity saver for me and my family.  Being a homeschool mom of three, there are not a lot of opportunities to really refocus and have time to breathe.  

A weekly glimpse of what my retreat looks like…

Usually on Wednesday mornings, I get up by 6 am and try to get to my favorite local bakery/coffee shop by 6:30 or 7.  I aim for earlier so I’m not spending as much time away from my family.  My girls are not allowed to get up before 7:30.  My husband and I have picked Wednesdays because he can go into work a little later due to being a youth/children’s pastor.  (This is his busiest day where sometimes he may not get home till after 9 pm.)  I’ll usually stay till 8:30 or 9 depending on the day.  I may choose to squeeze in an errand before coming home.

During my time at the bakery…
- Spend time having a “real” quiet time that is unrushed.  It is so refreshing to be able to enjoy time in God’s word along with my devotional.
- Spend time praying for my family.  I took time a couple of years ago and wrote down specific points to pray for each of my family members. (ex. Naomi – her future mate, learning to obey, to be humble about appearances, to be pure till marriage, to desire the right kind of friends, etc)
- Spend time looking over our family calendar, making notes of people I should contact, questions for Marty, etc.
- Look over our menu for the upcoming week and plan things to bake with the girls.
- Read inspirational blogs that encourage me in my walk with the Lord and to be a better wife & mother.
- Think though blogging ideas (if there is time).  

As I said, this is just a glimpse of what my weekly retreat looks like.  But I would highly recommend it, no matter how many children you have.  Find a time that works well with your husband or another family member and make it a priority in your week.  I was inspired to do this through the writings of Lindsay Edmonds of Passionate Homemaking.  You can find her article about it here.


No comments:

Post a Comment