Friday, October 5, 2012

Day 5 - Love & Marriage


One of the main reasons why I am not in an insane asylum right now is due to my amazing husband.  We have been married for 12 years now and it has not always been easy, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything.  He truly is my best friend and I wouldn’t want to spend any part of my life without him.  

We have had the privilege over the past few years of doing premarital counseling for several couples.  During those times of meeting with them, it is often refreshing, yet challenging to our own marriage.  Marriage is not a one time deal where you say “I do” and leave all your troubles at the altar.  It takes daily sacrifice on both parts to give without expecting anything in return.  

Expectations…  Isn’t that what often gets us women in trouble?  We expect certain requirements of our husbands that they may not even know are there.  Sometimes my husband just wants me to tell him what I am hoping for, whether it’s on a date or just to do the dishes while I’m running errands.  He may not be able to meet those expectations, but he certainly can’t if I don’t even voice them.  But to me what is even more important, for myself at least, is to have less expectations.  If I could focus on the millions of things he does do and be thankful for the man God has made him to be, what a marriage!  

This is a huge topic that really can’t be covered in one day, so I may write more another day.  But I want to wrap up today by thanking my husband, Marty, for putting up with me and loving me unconditionally for the past 16 years (since we started dating).  We were given the privilege of a night off last night to enjoy dinner and movie out, while my parents kept our little ones.  What a blessing!  I consider each day of our marriage a gift. 


No comments:

Post a Comment