Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Day 16 - Homeschooling


When my oldest was only six months old, I knew without a doubt that our family was going to home school.  Even as I trained for my degree in Elementary Education, my main purpose in achieving that diploma was for the sake of my children.  This does not make me a saint or a martyr.  I do not have the patience of Job, and if I told you that I didn’t doubt myself every single day, I’d be lying.  But I do know that God has called our family to train our children at home for the time being.  



(I will say from the beginning that homeschooling may not be for every family.  Some of the most amazing families I know send their children to other schools.  In our youth ministry, some of the strongest Christian teenagers came from our state’s public education.  So, in everything I say concerning homeschooling, there is no judgment of other families for the choices they make concerning their children’s education.)

There is much stress that can come with homeschooling.  
- Did I choose the right curriculum?  
- Are we covering enough every day to accomplish the year as a                   whole?  
- Can I really teach them to read?  
- Will they look weird? (my husband’s biggest concern when we                   started)
- How do I teach two different grades while entertaining a toddler?

The blessings definitely outweigh the struggles.
- Field trips to go along with what we are studying
- Vacations when it fits my husband’s schedule and when places are             the least crowded
- Learning as family about our nation’s history and how the world               began
- Approaching science from all avenue’s  (curriculum, library,                       internet, museums, etc)
- Shorter school days
- Training our girls in homemaking skills (cooking, sewing, cleaning)
- Time throughout the day to point them to our maker & master in             the little things
- Each child can move at her own pace

The lists could go on, but I hope that when the stress tends to mount and I want to throw in the towel, that I’ll be reminded of the reasons why we chose to take this path.  I am very thankful to my husband for supporting me in this, for without his support, I know I couldn’t continue.  

A glimpse of today:  As I finishing typing this at 3 pm, we are just now starting our school work.  I didn't get to our lesson planning till this morning, pushing our school time till after rest time.  My middle child is digging in her heels with all her might, not wanting to do her school work.  My oldest finds her piano stool to be more comfortable to sit on, causing her to practically lay all over her desk.  The dryer has now been started for the second time and breakfast dishes still await to be washed.  My progressing potty trainer is chilling in her diaper and winter coat while playing with Polly Pockets.  Exhausting, isn't it?  But it will all get done (at least what is important) and when all else fails, there is always tomorrow.


2 comments:

  1. Amy,
    I LOVE what you've written here. I think the advantages of homeschooling far outweigh the disadvantages, too. I would love to homeschool my children (when I have them:] ) The biggest disappointment during my student teaching experience was the strict curriculum set by the state. Obviously it was no surprise that I would have to teach it, but I felt so drained because I couldn't elaborate on certain things or provide exciting learning experiences for the students I was with because of time and set standards. I think it's the neatest thing to be able to take a lesson and turn it into an experience that fosters learning, at a museum or even the back yard! Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your perspective and your encouragement, Bethany! Hope your teaching goes well!

      Delete