Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Day 3 - Organizing Priorities


- Wake up, check email on phone before even turning on lights.  
- Have water & banana while having quiet time, check Facebook before getting up to exercise. 
- Exercise either on elliptical or go for a run.  If on elliptical, listen to a podcast; if running, listen to music on Ipod.


Do you see the theme of just the first few hours of my day?  Technology can be beneficial, but it can also be distracting and time consuming.  I’m afraid that I’ve allowed the latter to become part of my daily routine too often than not.  I’ve allowed myself to believe that I don’t have enough time to get my necessary household duties accomplished, causing me at times to feel like I’m going insane.  But honestly if I would spend less time on Pinterest and more time doing the dishes, I would most likely be a calmer mother.  If I haven’t made this clear before now, I’m writing this to help me to become more sane.  If technology helps you in this area and you are able to discipline yourself to spend the proper amount of time on it, then I admire you, rather than pass judgment on you.  I know that this is an area that I have been convicted over more often than not.  Something needs to change…

Steps to take:

 - Spend time in the Word before any technology (email, Facebook, etc).  A friend did this for Lent.  Very intentional.
 - Check email/Facebook before breakfast to see if there are any urgent messages for the day (no browsing).
 - Set a timer when I’m on Pinterest/or favorite blogs so I don’t waste time, but still enjoy a little down time (during the girls nap time or in the evenings).
 - On walks or spending quality time outside with my girls, choose to leave my phone inside.  I can return phone calls when I come back inside.
 - Not answer the phone while homeschooling.

So often I feel as though I'm missing special moments because I'm too distracted.  To see little hands painting and observe the newest insect added to our family.  Today is the day that He has made.  I will rejoice and be glad in it!  Psalm 118:24

Day 4 – It’s time to “Get up offa that thing!” in the words of James Brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment