Saturday, October 26, 2013

Day 26 - How to Teach One Who Doesn't Want to Learn...


To be completely honest, I have no idea how to teach one who doesn't want to learn.  I was a typical first born.  I loved school (except grammar)!  I don't remember how I learned certain things, even after taking classes like "How to teach Math" and "Teaching Science" in college.  

I love each of our girls equally, but our first child spoiled us. We got to lesson 75 of Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and she could read... before she was 5.  My next two girls are trying to remind me that there is more than one learning style & learning pace, and that's ok.  That truly is one of the blessings of homeschooling.  

Some days are better than others.  I consider every story that is read a success.  Making comparisons is easy to do, but extremely detrimental.  Each one has strengths and weaknesses, even if some have yet to be discovered. Praying for patience seems cliche, yet it is at times my saving grace.  When I show my frustration, the struggling child will grow frustrated.  When I manifest that we have all the time in the world, then words come easier (sometimes.)  I don't want to make excuses or give freedom for laziness.  All children need to be encouraged, sometimes pushed to work harder, and to do their best.  This is still a struggle for me, something that I have to daily lay before the Lord.  He is so good though!  My greatest prayer is not for my children to be the smartest or the prettiest, but that each one may come to know our Lord and Savior, and pursue Him with their whole lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment