Thursday, October 10, 2013

Day 10 - Rose Colored Glasses or Googly Goggles








In this part of North Carolina, the leaves are slowly starting to change colors.  But while I'm driving, I'm chillin' in my shades and when I look at the trees around me, the colors seem so much more vibrant with my rose-colored glasses.  It's kind of like that with homeschooling.  I start off with fear, but pure excitement!  I know that my children will be brilliant due to my guidance and tutoring.  I buy the "How to Teach Spanish" for my kindergartner (even though I know nothing of the Spanish language).  I expect every day of learning at home to be joy for all of us, never hearing complaints, only seeing eager eyes ready to learn.  (I hope you hear a hint of sarcasm...)  

Four years later, I realize that homeschooling is more like trying to eat yogurt with googly goggles.  High expectations are not wrong to begin with.  But when reality does set in and not all of the expectations are feasible, acceptance of that is crucial.  If I don't allow some failure on my part, if I insist on meeting every one of my expectations, if I demand my girls to meet all of my desires, then I will drown under this calling of "homeschooling."

Today was not the best of the best.  Handwriting was accomplished. Academically, that was it.  A few hours at the consignment sale and a stop at Aldi wiped out our usual school hours.  By the time we arrived home, lunches had to be made, mama had a headache, and everyone wanted to make Christmas presents (everyone except mama).  A quick lunch of cheese quesadillas, wild rice cooking for supper, and everyone was off to "reading time."  This mama read the backs of her eye lids.  The big girls did accomplish their reading and handwriting (& the wrapping of Christmas presents) during this time.  

I can easily dwell on the little we accomplished today or I can choose to remember what a great time we had discussing the story of Elijah running from Jezebel at the breakfast table. I can choose to realize that math was incorporated while shopping at the 50% sale, and smile to see a six year old's creative mind draw pictures of pirates while listening to her praise music.  

Today I cling to these verses, "Be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain." - I Corinthians 15:58  

Only Him...


No comments:

Post a Comment