Thursday, October 3, 2013

Day 3 - Crazy or a Calling?


2009


2010


2011


2012


2013

Homeschooling:  Is it crazy or a calling?

Everyone has a different view of it and honestly, that's ok.  I just want to share a little of our journey as we've decided to teach our girls at home.  I really can't pinpoint the exact moment when I knew I wanted to homeschool.  But even as I was finishing my degrees from Piedmont Baptist College & Lees McRae College, I knew there was an incredible possibility that my degree would be used for my future family.  Marty and I were married and he was already teaching music at that time.  When I finally walked across the stage in Banner Elk, I was nine months pregnant with Chloe (having mild contractions through the entire ceremony.)  Needless to say, my degree in Elementary Education was to be put on hold for the time.  

It was either while I was pregnant or before Chloe was even a year old, that I read a book given by one of my dearest friends.  The title was The Mission of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson.  It was while reading that book that the Lord led me and Marty to teach our children at home.  I have reread it several times since then and each time it inspires me to reach for my children's hearts, nurture them, guide them, and teach them.  

One of my favorite passages in this journey of teaching and learning at home is Deuteronomy 11:18-20, "Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds:  tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.  Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.  Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates, so that your days and the days of your children may be many in the land the Lord swore to give your ancestors, as many as the days that the heavens are above the earth."  

Choosing to homeschool is what we believe God has called our family to do at this time.  Crazy?  Most days... But we wouldn't want it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment