Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A few twigs, some dirt, and a rock...


Memories from last Easter...



As I listened to the Palm Sunday sermon of the torture and pain that was endured on that cross so long ago, I glanced next to me to see my girl quietly drawing a pretty picture of a cross.  She even drew a scalloped brown border around it, framing that cross, so simple and pure.  But isn't that what we often do with the cross?  We gaze upon it sitting so high up on our steeples.  We wear it on necklaces and place it in our homes as decorations.  But do we really believe in it?

Ann Voskamp reminds me, "When Jesus gave thanks, He took the bread before His crucifixion, before the Cross and the thorned Crown, and gave thanks for that. Gave thanks for that which symbolized His own breaking. Gave thanks for that which tasted of death, because He knew, He trusted, that even the hardest, the incomprehensible, was for ultimate good."

When have I truly given thanks for the cross?

When was the last time I was broken over the cross?

How long has it been since I sobbed over the pain He endured... for me?

If I claim to be a Christ-follower, why doesn't my life reflect Him?

Galatians 2:20 states, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.  The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."

My greatest desire this week and continuing on throughout the year is for my girls to see the power of the cross.  To claim the name of Jesus unashamed...  To see those around them, through His eyes...  To give thanks in all things...

Here are a few ideas we hope to use in our family this week in preparation for Easter...


May you all have a blessed Easter, celebrating our risen Lord!


No comments:

Post a Comment