Friday, September 15, 2017

It is well with my soul...


It is well... with my soul.  One of my favorite childhood hymns has only become more precious over these past few months. The story behind Horatio Spafford penning these words has always moved me to tears.  The loss of his first son, financial ruin through the Great Chicago fire, and then reading the words, "Saved alone..." from his wife after their four daughters died while crossing the Atlantic Ocean would be more than enough devastate any man.  Yet while crossing over the area where his daughters may have died, he wrote these words, "When peace like a river, attendeth my way, when sorrows like sea billows roll; whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say, It is well, it is well, with my soul."

Even though I can relate so little to the loss this man went through, his words have brought me comfort as I have grieved and dealt with my own battles over the last several months.  I would have said it all began on the day we literally moved from our house in NC, but I can look back now and see it started weeks before. Moving has always been one of the most stressful experiences in my life. It was only two years ago that we moved houses.  Then to realize we were moving again, but this time far from everything we'd grown to love, all our friends and family, the area our girls were born in, and all they had ever known.  It was hard.  In an effort to savor every moment we could with friends and special places, we went nonstop, sometimes meeting up with 2-3 families a day, all while trying to pack and move states.

I was exhausted by the time we drove those two vehicles away from our quiet neighborhood in Willow Spring.  On only a few hours of sleep, at least 3 cups of coffee, I followed Marty in our van towards my parents house where we planned to stay for the night before continuing to SC. However, after about an hour into the drive, I began struggling to catch my breath.  I sipped my water, ate snacks to help me stay awake, prayed, but I couldn't shake whatever it was.  I called Marty, asked him to pray, and to keep an eye on me in case I had to pull over.  I became fearful that I would faint as I had a childhood history of fainting.  The farther I drove the more anxious I became.  As we pulled up to a stoplight, I knew I was about to pass out, so I quickly pulled in the turn lane and prayed the light would turn green. I was able to pull off and Marty quickly turned around. Broken out in a cold sweat, I couldn't drive any farther.  We called my parents and they came and drove my van on to their house. Thinking it was just too much coffee, too little sleep, and too much stress, I dismissed it until the following morning when I became terrified to drive.  My chest would hurt, my breathing became labored, and my fears literally debilitated me. 


We left half of our belongings at my parents and drove on to SC. After a restful weekend at an Air B&B in Charleston and our first Sunday at our new church, I assumed I would be back to normal. The following Tuesday, we were moved in to our new home (thanks to some amazing new friends), so I thought the girls and I could drive over to Target and pick up a few things we needed.  Marty drove us to church so he could get some work done and we would come back and pick him up when we were finished.  But as I drove, I had one panic attack after another.  I could not leave the island and had to stop three times before making it back to the church.  I was devastated!  I felt embarrassed, ashamed in front of my girls, and honestly fearful for the future.  The anxiety over the next week or two only escalated and depression set in.  My mom was able to come spend the week with us, so I would have someone to drive the younger two girls and I around since Marty and Chloe had to go to camp.  More friends (old and new) came over the next few weeks and brought such comfort.  I tried everything naturally that I could think of.  Finally, I went to the doctor where she confirmed that I most likely did have a panic attack on the day of our move, and she was able to prescribe something to help for the time being.  I still struggled though.  

This is just small excerpt from my journal:  "Every morning as depression hits hard, even last night in the midst of another panic attack, I pray.  Marty prays.  I struggle to catch my breath and my heart beats rapidly.  Stress hits everyone in different ways.  It's debilitated me from driving, now even riding in a car.  I fear the medicine isn't working." In the midst of my struggles, my girls were hurting too.  They missed their friends so much, even though they were trying so hard to make the most of it.  

Praise God, I am getting better and driving more and more each day!  I am still taking my prescription, a bunch of supplements and vitamins, and lots of essential oils, but every time the anxiety rises, I've been able to get through it. I've had some incredible ladies who I've been completely honest with and have prayed with me through this time.  My girls have been so patient with me, encouraging me with each drive.  My parents provided a haven of rest when I was at an all time low.  My amazing husband... I can't say enough.  His patience, his selfless love, his kindness when he could have complained.  While moving can often bring the most tension to a marriage, this move has only brought us closer together.  Once again, I praise God!  Truly, to Him be the glory from all of this.  When you're at the bottom, you can only look up. He has taught me so much through His Word, through crying out in prayer when I was hopeless, and through the encouragement of others.  Already, He has given me opportunities to pray over the lives of others who deal with similar issues.  


So, I say all this not to ask for a pity party, but to ask for prayer. People see the pictures of where we live and marvel over its beauty. How blessed we are!  Yet behind every picture, it may not be as it seems.  Behind every picture is a mama fighting, fighting to feel better, fighting to be normal again, and fighting to settle where God has placed us.

Through this experience, there were times that I felt alone in this battle, thinking that I was the only one who experienced such anxiety.  Yet I continue to hear of others, both men and women, who have experienced the exact feelings and struggles I did.  If you ever struggle with this kind of anxiety, know that you're not alone. Reach out to someone, be honest with your loved ones, even if they don't understand, and seek healing.

"Forget the former things:  do not dwell on the past.  See, I am doing a new thing!  Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?  I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland."  Isaiah 43:18-19




15 comments:

  1. Beautifully and honestly written from the heart! We love you and pray for you and your precious family every day! All our love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Dad. You and mom have so wonderful through it all! Love you!

      Delete
  2. I have been right there...severe anxiety and depression. Scared the meds wouldn't work. It took an hour to get oh of bed every morning as I prayed peace and calm through my body! But oh how close to God I was at the end! Prayers for you my sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing this, Jennifer! So encouraging!

      Delete
  3. Amy, thanks for sharing. I struggle with stress related breathing problems. Feel as though I am going to suffocate sometimes. Glad there are people out there not afraid to share that they have struggles too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cory, thank you so much for sharing your story. I continue to hear of so many people who go through some kind of anxiety that affects them physically. I pray that you've found relief from yours too.

      Delete
  4. We will be praying. Thank you for giving the opportunity to know *how* we should pray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Brian! You & your family have always been such an encouragement to ours! Praying for you all at Fairvew too!

      Delete
  5. Hey Amy, sorry to hear you are going through this, I can totally relate to it. When we moved to NC from MD 19 years ago, I went through the same thing, I did not know what was going on with me, I thought I was going crazy when I got panic attacks. My children were very young back than as well and it was hard to be a good mom to them when I kept getting anxiety attacks, I had to be hospitalized twice and they would ask me questions and all I kept saying that I did not want to be like this. I was on medicine for 9 months and that helped, but what helped me most was prayers as well as getting some help to understand what was going on and how to take control of it, once I was able to know when I was getting ready to get an anxiety attack, I was able to do the things that I was thought and be able to control it. I felt ashamed as well and thought I was the only one going through this. I still get anxiety attacks off an on when I go through stressful times, but at least I know how to take control of it. If you need someone to talk to who understands what you are going through, please give me a call. I will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ani, thank you so much for writing! One of my greatest comforts through all this has been discovering others who have also been through such anxiety. I really appreciate you reaching out and sharing your story with me! God has been so gracious in walking alongside me through this recovery.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, thank you for sharing your story! I so appreciate your honesty. I love hearing how God has brought such healing in your life. What a special testimony!

      Delete
  7. Crying, literally crying crocodile tears as I read and relate so much to this. For years and years I have had anxiety about driving long distances from my home. 30 minutes seems to be my limit...the farthest I can drive without feeling extremely anxious...a little anxiety hits for any trip I find unfamiliar. Girl, I now live 25 to 30 minutes from everything and almost nothing seems familiar. Some days I can manage a longer drive and some exploration and sometimes I stay home. And yes...moving, starting over. It's so so hard. We LOVED where we lived (where you lived). Loved it. We've moved before, but it has never hurt like this. I've talked to only a few people about it, but I had great depression and anxiety when we first moved here. I felt like all my happiness had been ripped violently away and that everyone back "home" was living my life, hanging out with my friends, enjoying my church without me. But slowly, the Lord is showing me that I have to accept these new plans he has for our lives. And it is beautiful here as well, mountains instead of beach. I see your posts...love where you live...and it inspires me to try too. A dear friend recently wrote me a letter and finished it with "Bloom where you are planted". It takes great intentional effort, but I'm trying. And it gets better all the time. Each day I look back a little less and embrace the now and the future a little more. Jeremiah 29:11. I have to trust Him. It will be OK. It's getting more OK all the time. I will be praying for you and your family. Please pray for us as well. How amazing that you and I are dealing with so many similar things. In Christ alone!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Showed up as Unknown...this is Gina King :)

      Delete
    2. Dearest Gina,
      I read your Facebook post yesterday and my heart broke & sympathized at the same time! I'm so sorry for all the struggles! Moving is hard enough without adding house troubles and watching your littles hurt. I will be praying for you too! My only advice right now is to cling to what is good. It is so easy for me to focus on the negative, but I have to find the good and look for all the ways God has been gracious to me through this process. Love you, sweet friend!

      Delete