Monday, August 22, 2011

Starting School Again...

I realize my title makes it sound like we're old pro's at this homeschooling thing, but that is hardly the case.  I have been more nervous this year than the previous two years.  I think with each year there is more pressure and more responsibility, and this year, my little So "S" is so very mobile!!  I'm going to be researching other moms ideas for how to keep a toddler entertained while trying to teach/read with my two older ones, who are now in second grade and preschool.

So, today was our first day back... I really wanted to wait till tomorrow or even Thursday to begin, but my girls were so excited and ready to start that I couldn't say no.  Overall, I found it to be a glorious day!  The day began with Krispy Kreme doughnuts from Daddy and hearing him spend quality time with the girls in their devotions.  Couldn't ask for a better start!  Then, we covered geography and communications by skyping with Dad and Mom across the world wide web from here to Okinawa.  So much fun!

Our official school day entailed taking pictures on the front steps to commemorate this new school year.  The girls did surprisingly well, even "S"!  The pledge of allegiance came next with our workboxes following close behind.  Handwriting, spelling, and reading were our primary focus today.  "C" already finished her reader that was supposed to take her three days to read (according to the Sonlight's curriculum).  We began our new read-aloud called Red Sails to Capri, which has captivated me already.  Lastly, we enjoyed our yummy ABC cookies from Trader Joes.  I kept our studies simple today (mainly because I wasn't ready to teach everything yet!) and my expectations positive.  I couldn't ask for a better first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment