Wednesday, January 27, 2016
It's a new year...
It's a new year...
New years resolutions, new goals, new desires, new books...
I love the reset of January 1st, looking back and learning from the previous year, yet looking forward to the upcoming one with renewed hope. New years resolutions can get a bad reputation and honestly this year, I've wondered what's the point? Every year I try to get to bed earlier and it never seems to happen. Every year I try to do this and that, and it may get done until about half way through the year, if that.
Over the past couple weeks, I've taken some time to assess my life using this printable as a guide and really seeking what the Lord would have of me this year. I really enjoyed looking back at my favorite moments of 2015 (lot's of travel and change!) and yet was challenged by the things lacking in my life - better health and exercise!
Some of the areas I desire to improve upon are:
- prayer - My prayer life has been lacking for some time now. A friend gave me a great spiral journal for my birthday and I've loved filling the front of it with prayer requests, verses on prayer, and literal prayers as I feel the need to write them out.
- health & exercise - With traveling to two continents last year and moving houses, exercise & eating naturally were put on the back burner. So this year, they've got to become more of a priority. Specific desires include less carbs & sugar, run two races, and more green smoothies.
- books - I love to read!! Yet why do I struggle to finish books? Part of the issue could be due to the fact that we read throughout the day as a homeschool family, but I think one of the biggest culprits is my phone that travels with me everywhere. It is huge temptation for me to quickly check Instagram, spend who knows how long scrolling through Facebook, read that email really quick, and just browse Pinterest because I'm bored. I've felt more and more convicted about this. No concrete ways to remedy this issue yet, but where there's a will there's a way.
Here is a Reading Challenge put out by Anne Bogel with Modern Mrs. Darcy that I hope to follow and use for accountability.
For those of you with kids, Sarah Mackenzie at Amongst Lovely Things and the Read Aloud Revival podcast has really inspired me and my girls to read aloud more during the month of January. Just 15 minutes a day!
New books from Amazon always give me a thrill and I'm looking forward to getting to these titles over the next couple of months.
- Fervent by Priscilla Shirer
- You and Me Forever by Francis and Lisa Chan
- The Fringe Hours by Jessica Turner
- Finish The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
- Currently loving Simply Tuesday by Emily Freeman
Lastly, I'll leave you with the words of one of my new favorite songs, This Year by JJ Heller
This year I'm not looking back to who I was
Because I'm going to be someone I've never been
This year I'm not focused on the cracks in the walls
Not keeping tract of all the times I fall
So long to last year
It's all becoming so clear
There's no use living in regret
Let's fight a good fight
Train our eyes to see the light
And make this year the best one yet
Starting right here, Happy New Year!