Tuesday, August 26, 2014

When I am afraid...


Morning came a little sooner than expected when I heard my littlest crying through the monitor for her older sister.  After stumbling across the house, I heard her repeat, "Naomi, Naomi, I'm scared!"  I'm thankful that my little middle is a sound sleeper.  After snuggling under the covers with my littlest, she tells me all about her bad dream with the wild pig and proceeds to ask me questions of where they live and what they eat.  After assuring her that there are no wild pigs in our little town outside of Raleigh, we pray.  We pray that God will remove these scary thoughts from her mind, that He'll replace her dream with one that is pleasing and peaceful, and that He will surround her bed with His angels. She settles back down to sleep.

Since my alarm was set to go off in the next ten minutes, I went ahead and started the coffee, grabbed a blanket, and settled down to enjoy my quiet time a little early (especially since I forgot to do it yesterday).  It's not everyday, but more often than not, God is so good to allow my devotions or scripture from the past to come to mind when I need it the most.  Today was one of those days.  

In the past, I have allowed fear to consume me.  When I left my girls last year to go to Ecuador, I was terrified on almost every plane ride.  When one of my children goes away for a day trip with someone else, fear overtakes my mind, putting thoughts of panic within me.  The past week has been another such time.  A local young teenager dies in a car accident, a house down the road gets broken into, the news is full of terrifying stories that cause me to pray for my babies and pray that Jesus will return soon.  Until then, His Word reminds me again and again...

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world." - John 16:33

"Look to the Lord and His strength; seek His face always." - Psalm 105:4

"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your heart be troubled and do not be afraid." - John 14:27

When I am afraid, His Word brings such comfort!




No comments:

Post a Comment