Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Desperate, yet Intentional...



I don't think I ever realized how hard parenting would really be.  No one told me that I would listen to a three year old's rendition of "Hear I am to Worship" 18 times within the span of a single car ride.  No one told me that bath time could seriously be the most exhausting part of my day.  No one told me how the heart strings could tug hard while watching your little ones grow up before your eyes.


"Our shoulders often falter under a constant weight of performance and duty.  We get caught up in the hectic cycle of endless tasks and often end up finding our lives to be a barren wasteland of burdens.  We ask half-heartedly for a sip of His grace, never fully expecting Him to listen and answer." - Sally Clarkson


I have finally finished my latest read, Desperate, by Sarah Mae and Sally Clarkson and the last chapter, Desperate... not Defeated, was dark chocolate to my soul.  So many thoughts swirling around in my head, yet not always able to put them into words.  I so desperately want to be intentional in my life, especially in mothering, but on a day to day basis, I fail.  Being intentional is exhausting!  But the more I've thought and prayed about it, I've realized that it can wear you thin because it is sacrificial.  It is a choice though.  

"The call to train up a child is more than a one-time choice; it is a day-to-day, long-term commitment to shape your children, the greatest gift that God has given you stewardship over." - Sally Clarkson


So on the days when they ask for another tea party, just break out the mac-n-cheese and make a meal of it. When you are just too tired to keep on moving, sit on the front steps and watch them ride their bikes one more time.  When you're in a hurry and breakfast is already running late, you'll never regret letting the littlest stir the eggs and the oldest grate cheese.  How I need to stop being in a hurry...


"Getting to the next thing without fully entering the thing in front of me.  I cannot think of a single advantage I've ever gained from being in a hurry.  But a thousand broken and missed things, tens of thousands, lie in the wake of all the rushing...  Through all the haste I thought I was making up time.  It turns out I was throwing it away." - Mark Buchanan

More on "being intentional" to come as I have so much learn...

No comments:

Post a Comment